Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Kay Francis News!!

The Complete Kay Francis Career Record
All Film, Stage, Radio and Television Appearances

Lynn Kear and John Rossman
Foreword by James Robert Parish
From McFarland:

"Not Yet Published, Available Fall/Winter 2007

Description
This book is the definitive guide to the film, stage, radio and television career of Kay Francis, one of the most glamorous stars from the golden age of Hollywood. For each film, the authors provide a thorough synopsis plus cast and crew information (including biographies), opening dates, production notes, behind-the-scenes details, and reviews. In addition, information is provided on her stage, radio, and television appearances, and a section is devoted to collecting Kay Francis memorabilia, including such items as cigarette cards, sheet music, and soundtracks. Also covered is the stage and vaudeville career of Kay Francis’ mother, Katherine Clinton. A brief biography of Kay Francis is provided, along with an insightful foreword by film scholar James Robert Parish. Truly a treasure trove for Kay Francis fans and anyone interested in classic filmmaking in the 1930s and 1940s, the book includes more than 100 illustrations, many of them rare."

6 Comments:

Blogger la peregrina said...

Oh boy! Thanks for this info, waiting until this book comes out is going to be hard.

BTW- Anne Bancroft has always reminded me of Kay Francis. Is it only me who thinks that or do you see the resemblance? I'm not just talking about looks but aura too.

7:13 PM  
Blogger jtk said...

You're welcome!

That's really interesting about the Anne Bancroft resemblance. I never noticed it before, but after googling some of Anne's photos, I think you're definitely on to something there. The more I look at her photos, the more I see it.

10:04 PM  
Blogger The Siren said...

I read the authors' bio of Kay Francis, which was very informative & well-researched, but seemed to rather gloss the movies. I mentioned that on my blog, and one of the authors popped up to explain that this book, about her films, had always been in the works. Awesome!

Now if they would just release Living on Velvet on DVD ...

3:37 PM  
Blogger jtk said...

Yes, from what I understand, the amount of material the authors had on Kay was so extensive that it would be best covered with two books, the first one being primarily a bio, and the second one focusing on her films.

I'd love to see a couple of Kay Francis DVD box set releases. One could cover her early Paramount films; Gentleman Of The Press, Street Of Chance, Girls About Town, and Strangers in Love. Another could cover her Warner Bros. films; Jewel Robbery, One Way Passage, Mary Stevens M.D., Mandalay, Dr. Monica, Living on Velvet, and The Goose And The Gander.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Trombonology said...

It seems extremely odd to me that there should be two volumes in print paying tribute to the career of Kay Francis and another soon to be available and yet such apallingly meagre DVD representation of her work. Such incomprehensible injustice!

I've seen only the fascinating Ladies Man among Kay's Paramount films, but I am well-acquainted with her Warner Brothers efforts and consider many of them to be essential viewing for the Pre-Code enthusiast. The Goldwyn Cynara, too, is wonderful.

Heavens, I hope someone's listening to us!

7:13 PM  
Blogger jtk said...

Hi Trombonology,

I forgot ato mention For the Defense, 24 Hours, and The Virtuous Sin. I dont expect Paramount to release anything any time soon, but I hope that somebody at Warner Bros. is listening.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home