Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, September 01, 2006

Classic Pre-code: Night Nurse 1931

Night Nurse 1931. While featuring Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Blondell in various modes of undress, it is also a s&m and fetishist's delight (or maybe it's just me). Besides showing plenty of legs, gloves, uniforms, lingerie, and leather boots, director "Wild Bill" Wellman also provides much punching, slapping and wrist twisting.

The good doctor on one knee for the white gloved lady.

Barbara Stanwyck, looking quite stern.

The good doctor, obviously very pleased with the situation.

Joan and Barbara, what a pair.

"Oh, don't be embarrassed, you can't show me a thing....I just came from the delivery room." (Eddie Nugent)



Joan helps Barbara remove her stockings.


Some sadistic joker leaves a skeleton in the girl's bed.

The girls snuggle after the fright.

"Was he hit anywhere else?"

"Sorry....but that's all.

"That's my story, and a couple a' cops with rubber hoses can't make me change it." (Ben Lyon)

"Hey, that's a bullet wound."
"Hey, nobody sent for you, go rustle your hot water bottles."

"Hey Maloney, don't forget to wash that bedpan....and make..it..shiny."

Barbara helps Joan get dressed.

Joan tightly holds Barbara's rubber gloved wrist to help keep her from fainting.


That's Barbara getting undressed in front of Joan...are you keeping count?

Two lifeless creatures. That's the lady of the house in a drunken stupor.(She's the one without the fur)

A caveman tries to force himself on the visiting nurse.

Mysterious stranger in a silk robe and pajamas punches out the caveman.

Mysterious stranger twists the visiting nurses wrist.

"I'm Nick...the chauffeur" (Clark Gable)


Nick...the chauffeur... punches out the visiting nurse.

Dr. Ranger,...a hopped up horse doctor...and a real horse's a#$ (Ralf Harolde)

Joan fitting on a glove...she fiddles with this glove throughout the entire scene.

The bootlegger and his pal.

"I'm a dipsomaniac and proud of it. Do ya hear? IM A DIPSOMANIAC AND I LIKE IT... I LIKE IT.. How do you like that?

"YOUR'E A CRUEL AND INHUMAN MOTHER."

The nurse slaps down the caveman.

The caveman is forced to crawl away on his hands and knees.

The nurse wrestles the lady of the house to the ground.

The nurse strikes a dominant pose.

The nurse steps over the lady of the house.

Nick, in uniform and smoking, looks on.

The bootlegger looking through a window...I wonder what this means?

Nick in full uniform, leather boots and all.

Nick twisting an arm.

Nick punches out the good doctor.

Nick roughs up the nurse.


"Some guy got taken for a car ride"
"Bootlegger?"
"No...he was wearing a chauffeurs uniform"

6 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Whoah...nice recap!

2:43 PM  
Blogger M said...

:D Splendid! It's like those old photo soap operas they published in magazines. I wonder if that's the bear rug everyone got their picture taken on by George Hurrell. I think it was Anne Sheridan who said it stank.

7:08 PM  
Blogger michaelE said...

Whew! I should have have gotten a big box of Raisinettes before startin' this.

2:43 PM  
Blogger jtk said...

Hi Carrie, thanks. I thought this film deserved a big post. It's one of my all time favorites...it's got just about everything a pre-code film should have.

Thats funny about the rug, I was also wondering if it was the same rug also. Seeing it just instantly reminds you of that Hurrell photo. I think Harlow may have been photogrpahed on it as well. I didnt know about the Ann Sheridan comment, thats a good one. Everytime I see the photo I'll know that Ann Sheridan is getting a big whiff of stink, but being the pro she is, manages to hide it so well :)

You would have needed a box of popcorn too, if I kept the original length...but I had to exclude a lot of frame grabs. And how many times can you look at Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Blondell prancing around in their underwear anyway?

8:12 PM  
Blogger VP81955 said...

And how many times can you look at Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Blondell prancing around in their underwear anyway?

Plenty of times. Got any stills of an underwear-clad Carole Lombard from "Bolero"?

2:06 PM  
Blogger jtk said...

Hi vp19,

I believe I do. I might be able to post a few frame grabs of an underwear-clad Carole from Bolero in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home